Monday, July 30, 2012

Tutorial: Opening a PDF file in Silhouette Studio (for Windows)

Bullzip PDF Printer is a great program for Windows users of Silhouette Studio.  Using Bullzip, you can (1) save a Studio file as another file type and (2) use this free program to turn a PDF into an image file for tracing in Studio.  This tutorial shows how to save a PDF as an image file supported by Studio.

 

These instructions work for Windows 7 (and probably earlier operating systems) using Adobe Reader:
1. Download and install Bullzip PDF Printer.
2. Open your desired PDF file in Adobe Reader.
3. Choose "Print" to open the print dialog box.
4. Select your printer as Bullzip PDF Printer.
5. Choose "Print"
6. In the "General" tab of Bullzip PDF Printer:
  • Choose the Format: PNG (JPG works in Studio, too, but PNG files stay the correct size)
  • Choose a file name and folder
  • Click Save
7. In Silhouette Studio:  Open (All Files), find it, choose "Open"
8. Trace as usual ("Trace & Detach" is my favorite option for tracing and separating multiple images from a single page)

15 comments:

  1. That is great Kelly - much quicker than the tedious way I have been doing it. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Downloading it now as it is an easier way. Thanks for the link. Once in awhile I do find a PDF I would like to use in Studio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for much for this info. I've "pinned" your video on my Cameo Board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding my thanks. Not that the zillions of files from the Silhouette Online Store could not satisfy for a lifetime; but it's nice to know that when we see a PDF we just can't live without, we can easily download in a way to let the machine do the work of cutting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! My thoughts exactly. I can't stop collecting files from the internet in whatever form, so I'm trying to get my Cameo to cut them all. So far so good!

      Delete
  5. Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks thats awesome and answers a lot of questions

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this usefull and easy to follow tutorial, Kelly!!! Just had to pin it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Adobe Pro (which has an Adobe PDF printer) and can't seem to install the Bullzip PDF printer. :( Great idea though for those who can use it. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!

    I would like first to thank for that tip and also say that I did a PAP about it in Portuguese and posted on my blog today, at the end of the post I mentioned the claims citing the address of your blog that was where I saw the hint.

    http://jannascrap.blogspot.com.br/2012/08/transformando-um-arquivo-pdf-para.html

    Kisses and thanks,

    Janaina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so very much, Kelly! :) Appreciate your tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I own a Mac and found out after a little google search that I can save the PDF as a PNG or JPEG using Preview.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this video! You are talented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG... it works!! I have a bunch of pdf files that have a pattern with pages of the pattern in different colors. I didn't know how I was going to use them.
    Now I can save each current page as a png file (adding the color to the file name) and drag and drop it into the Patterns folder! The Patterns folder is picky and won't take a lot of file, but it takes these. Thank you, Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete