Saturday, May 31, 2014

Autograph Books

Autograph Books by Kelly Wayment 

On the last day of school, the kids love to sign yearbooks. However, with multiple children in the same school I usually have to listen to complaining about only one child bringing home the yearbook.  Truthfully, I don't want any signatures covering up the photo record of the year which belongs to the whole family, and I won't buy multiple yearbooks for the same school.  (I know, mean mom.)

But this year I planned ahead.  (Nice mom.)  I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out covers and titles for these blank Hobby Lobby notebooks I bought last year.  I already had a Studio template saved from tracing the cover, so I just cut front and back covers for each of the two notebooks.

I used one of my favorite fonts for welding, LHF Cosmic Cursive, and was pretty sneaky so I could add glitter.  Instead of using my go-to favorite of Silhouette double-sided adhesive (which is sometimes difficult to cut for a lot of skinny little connections like on this word), I used my other go-to favorite of adhesive-backed cardstock.  Since it's nice and sturdy and the back is sticky, I simply flipped the word horizontally in Studio (after welding, of course) so the sticky side of the paper would be on the top.

I cut it from adhesive cardstock as a mirror image of the original word, flipped it over, and was able to sprinkle red glitter on top.

reverse adhesive cardstock (sticky side up)

autograph_red glitter

autograph_glitterized

As an extra step, I added a layer of Glossy Accents on top of the glitter.  To keep the paper from warping while drying and to hold it in place while squeezing out the Glossy Accents, I pressed the glittered words onto an old cutting mat.  Once it was dry, I added a bit of glue to the back of the word and pressed it onto the notebook cover.

autograph book_blue

autograph book_cream

I love the glossy sheen on top of the sparkly glitter.  And the best part?  No complaining about yearbook-signing day.  The girls skipped off to school--each with a fresh notebook and pen--ready to collect signatures, phone numbers, and addresses of all their friends and teachers.  Plus they had spare paper in their notebooks which they could tear out and write on if they needed to hand out a phone number.  Success!

autograph book_glitter

2 comments: