Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Remote Control Caddy

Remote Control Caddy by Kelly Wayment 

I found this fun file in the Silhouette Online Store and decided to make it for storing our remote controls.  There are a lot of organizational boxes in the online store, and I've heard some people express concern that they might not hold up well, so I decided to make this one out of Silhouette chipboard instead of regular cardstock or pattern paper just to see if it's better.

First of all, let me say that a lot of these files really do work with regular double-sided pattern paper.  This drawer set is on my desk at work and is holding up very well.

All the pieces are included in this file with the assumption that it will be made with heavy paper, so I had to do a little extra cutting and some slight modifying to have the base made from chipboard and to also cover all the faces I wanted with pattern paper.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  I think in this case, the extra bit of sturdiness for the heavy remotes provided by chipboard is worth the effort.  I still don't think it's necessary for all of the organizational boxes and caddies out there.

As a side note, I've cut both cereal boxes and Silhouette chipboard with my Cameo, and the Silhouette chipboard is easier to cut.  I feel like it has less wear and tear on the blade and the motor, and the package of 25- 12"x12" pages lasts a long time.  It's slightly thinner than other chipboards, but is more refined and cuts so smoothly!

Thanks for stopping by!  I'm trying to get caught up on posting about the projects we've been doing around here.  :)

Shape Used: 3D Remote Control Organizer #60461

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I agree with you --- the remotes might need a bit sturdier box, but a lot of the boxes/organizers are fine with double-sided card stock. thanks for sharing your thoughts on using chipboard, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the second opinion, Shawna! :)

      Delete